Shame, Pain and Substance Use
This online physiotherapy course imparted by Pelvic Health Solutions (PHS) contains the recorded lectures from the 4th Pelvic Health Symposium. This course will challenge your theoretical and practical knowledge of pelvic health. Listen to their knowledge, and deepen your understanding of pelvic health and all of the factors that will make you a top-notch, excellent practitioner.
About The Course:
Ever wonder why one person can use a substance and become addicted to where someone else might not? Join me for a discussion that expands our understanding of substance misuse and the role that it plays in the lives of clients in pain. Together we will explore how our clients' beliefs about pain, substances and themselves are greater predictors of adjustment than any other variable. Walk away with concrete strategies you can start using with your clients immediately.
What do you get in this course?
- Slides to each lecture
- Lifetime Access: You can come back to this course at any time. If any material is updated or material is added to the course, you will have access to the new content.
- Certification of Completion: once you've created the course you will get a certificate for your professional portfolio.
- Access to this course is through Embodia and while some of the content, such as the workbook can be downloaded, the majority cannot. This is to protect the instructor’s material and to prevent the content from being shared freely on the internet.
- Embodia is mobile-friendly and can be accessed on phone, tablet and computer.
- There is no start date or completion date. You can complete the course at your own pace.
- You will be sent a receipt as soon as you purchase this course. This receipt can be used for education grants (such as The Allied Health Professional Development Fund) and for tax purposes.
- Bite sized information: all of the content is broken down into bite sized chunks so that you can easily watch a video on your break, over lunch or for a few minutes at night.
- You will receive a Special Coupon for 15% off any other online course on Embodia Academy when you’ve completed this course!
Audience: Rehab Professionals (PT, PTA, OT, OTA, AT, ET, Kin, etc), movement specialists, yoga teachers, yoga therapists, and those interested in learning more about pelvic floor health and wellness.
This course was recorded at the 4th Pelvic Health Solutions Symposium in 2017.
BA, MSW, RSW
Melissa is a registered social worker with over 10 years experience in the field of mental health and addiction. Currently, she works full time in the adult outpatient Mental Health and Addiction Program at Grand River Hospital delivering group and individual therapy to adults in acute mental health crisis. In addition to her work at the hospital, Melissa works at Qualia Counselling Services, a full service counselling agency specializing in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. She also provides field supervision to Laurier's MSW students.
Melissa holds an BA (hons.) in Psychology from York University and a Masters in Social Work from Wilfrid Laurier University. She is certified in Concurrent Disorders and is credentialed through the Canadian Association of Cognitive Behavioural Therapies. In order to help people unlock their full potential, Melissa has certified in the Daring Way, a highly experiential methodology in developing shame resiliency based on the research of Dr. Brené Brown.
Course Material included in this course
Shame, Pain and Substance Use
Substance Use Overview
Screening — Who, What, Where and When
Continuum of Use and a Theory of Addiction
The Model of Substance Use
The Help of Support